Investigations & Rescue
INVESTIGATIONS: We investigate/process approximately 250 cases of cruelty and neglect every year. Some cases involve individual animals and other, more complex cases involve large scale rescues/seizures. In all cases, we work hard to ensure perpetrators are prosecuted.
The types of investigations we do include:
- Physical abuse or chronic neglect of animals
- Animals denied necessary food, water, shelter or medical attention as required by law
- Animal fighting
- Animal hoarding
RESOURCES: Pasado’s Safe Haven collaborates with law enforcement whenever possible. Our investigative, veterinary and animal care teams can help provide:
- Equipment and personnel to assist with animal rescue
- Medical response, examinations or necropsies of victim animals
- Transportation and sanctuary for animals taken into custody
- Live and deceased evidence holding
- Technical consultation
TRAININGS: We conduct or facilitate trainings and workshops for law enforcement agencies, prosecutors and other members of the community working to improve the response to crimes against animals. Some of our recent classes include:
- How to Successfully Investigate Animal Cruelty; Beginning to End
- Avoiding the Use of Lethal Force on “Dangerous” Dogs
- How the Private Sector can Support Law Enforcement
- Successful Investigation and Prosecution of Equine Cruelty Cases
“THE BUCKY AWARD” FOR EXCELLENCE: Bucky the dog was brutally killed in 2010. Thanks to the officers and prosecutors working on this case, the perpetrator was charged and served jail time. In memory of Bucky, Pasado’s Safe Haven offers this annual award to raise awareness for animal cruelty and to recognize the officers and prosecutors who do exceptional work on these difficult cases.
How it works
Funded by a generous donor, $5,000 in award money is split between the teams whose cases best represent excellence in animal cruelty investigation and prosecution. Nominations must be submitted by July each year for the year prior. The award money is required to be put toward animal cruelty investigations training, equipment or tools. Learn more here.